Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11




Remembering 9/11




So much has happened since that awful day, September 11, 2001 that I sometimes forget what it was like that day. I was at work in the ER as the news came to us that first one tower and then the other had been hit by airplanes. We heard that the Pentagon had been hit and then a plane had gone down in a field in Pennsylvania. We were on lock down. No one could leave. I called my family and I prayed. Was this it? Was this the end? We comforted one another and wondered what would happened next.


I remember images of the towers collapsing, people running and weeping, firemen, policeman and emergency personnel searching and hoping to find someone alive. Most poignant to me was the members of congress standing on the steps of the Capital Building spontaneously singing America The Beautiful and a senator weeping during the memorial service.


Now I remember it all and I pray that some day we can feel secure and that peace will come again.
Sarah McNeal


No comments: