Sunday, February 15, 2009

My World Has Gone Dark



It is with great sadness that I tell all of you that my darling, loving, sweet Golden Retriever, Kate, died February 13. She was diagnosed with bone cancer on Halloween and was only expected to live a few weeks. She must have felt the love and care around her because she lived 3 and 1/2 months. I took this picture of her just before Christmas. She loved riding in the car and greeting people with her mouth stuffed with toys. In the last 24 hours of her life she was in so much pain that none of her medicines helped her. I called the vet and they arranged to meet Kate with a stretcher and she was allowed to go in peace. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I loved her so much and the house is empty without her.

An hour after I got home from the vet's, I got a call from the nurse in the intensive care unit in Minnesota that my big sister had died. Marlene taught me how to drive because she was the only one with the patience and fearlessness to do it. She saved my life once and gave me some good advice when I most needed it. I don't have a picture of her uploaded on my computer or I would share that with you.

There is a dark shadow over my corner of the universe right now. Thanks to my friends and family I know I'll get back into the sunshine some day--just not today.

Sarah McNeal

No comments: