Monday, August 18, 2008

Inspiration and Detractions

There's nothing I love more than getting "in the grove." The muse is singing like a canary in my head and the prose is coming together, that little counter in Microsoft Word clicks up at a steady pace...it's great!

But why is it that I tend to be most inspired when I have the least time to dedicate to writing? I just had a month off from school, with nothing to do but nothing, and while I managed to get some writing done (the start of a new short Regency for an as yet secret project and the beginnings of A Compromising Evening, the second book in the Cade family series), it wasn't nearly as much as you'd think I would have accomplished (and indeed, should have) during my vacation.

Today marked the beginning of a new semester, and the first day of my last year of law school (yay!). I'm sitting here staring down 200 pages of Federal Indian Law text, 100 pages of Bankruptcy, 50 pages of Intellectual Property, 100 pages of International Human Rights, and 45 pages of Maritime Law, all needing to be finished by Wednesday/Thursday of this week. And of course it's now - now - that the muse decides to beat me over the head with the inspiration stick, running sentences through my brain faster than I can type them out.

It might have something to do with being in work mode versus vacation mode. When I have down time, I want down time, my brain shuts off. When I need to fire up the ol' noggin again, it immediately zeros in on the one thing I'd most like to be doing: writing. I tell myself, just one more year of academia, but come May, the real fun begins. I get to study for the bar, I get to start a job...I'm not convinced I'll have more time then for writing than I do now. I'm afraid I'll have even less. It's frustrating going from completing a novel every few months to spending nearly a year on one book, as I did with Reckless Liaisons.

I hate having to find that balance. Believe you me, as soon as I reach the point where I can afford to write full time, I'm there. I've wanted to be an attorney since I was 13, but I've been a writer since I was 7. Books are my first love, and first love wins.

No comments: