Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Drive-by Posting

Hi, my name is Kayleigh, and I'm a procrastinator.

It's no secret that I'm in my second year of law school, which makes me seriously busy, and seriously miserable, most of the time. And there's no worse example of that than the two weeks following each semester during which I am subjected to those diabolical torture devices, final exams. For those unfamiliar with the law school machine, the final exam is in most instances the only contributor towards my grade. Three hours. One test. 100% of my grade. Source of a teeny bit of stress?

You bet your ass.

At the moment, I've completed one class, with four to go. Law and Literature did not require a final, but a final paper instead, and there were other grades in that class - a midterm paper for which I got a 39/40 (and I'm pissed about that one point!), participation for which I have 100%, and a few mini-papers.

The big bears are coming up Thursday and Friday of this week, and Wednesday and Friday of next. Business Corporations is on Thursday, Professional Responsibility is on Friday. Wednesday I have Administrative Law and Friday Constitutional Law I. I've spent today studying Professional Responsibility, which is basically attorney ethics *insert lawyer jokes here*. That ties nicely into my rant from the other day regarding author ethics. Just goes to show there are shiesty people in ALL professions. Lawyers just get a bad rap because, well, a lot of us deserve it. No, seriously, attorneys have very rigid standards of ethics to follow, and we police ourselves well. The reason why people have such a bad opinion of lawyers (aside from a few bad apples spoiling the bunch) is that we have an adversarial system of justice, which means that in any given case two sides are pitted against each other - either the People versus an individual in a criminal case, or individuals versus individuals in civil cases. Someone always wins, and someone always loses. Naturally those who support the loser, or those who are the losers, aren't going to be happy. And there are bad lawyers out there, along with bad laws, but that's a rant for another day.

My current source of procrastination material, outside of this blog posting, is the December RWR, which just came in the mail. And as usual, I could wank for hours about the current state of the RWA, but all in all I really must get back to studying.

Instead, I'll leave you with an excerpt from my upcoming Regency, Reckless Liaisons, here.

-KJ

No comments: