Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Recent Interview

By Pat Cromwell

I was recently interviewed for the Amira Press Newsletter, November 2007 issue. I thought I’d share a sampling of questions and my response with you as a way to get to know me a little better:

Tell us a little bit about your current Amira Press release Behind Blue Eyes.
Behind Blue Eyes is the story of Michael O’Neal and Seine Simmons. It’s a love story and like all romances, there is always at least one obstacle that stands in their way. While outside influences threaten them, the biggest challenge they face as a couple is their failure to communicate properly with each other.

How did you come up with the idea for Behind Blue Eyes?
Behind Blue Eyes went through a lot of changes before I came up with the final version that I submitted to Amira Press. I suppose the biggest influence is the song Behind Blue Eyes as sung by Limp Bizkit and that killer video with Halle Berry and Sexy Fred Durst (IMO – smile).

What is a typical day like for Pat?
Stressfull! I thought life was tough when my kids were younger, but these days are far busier. I don’t seem to have enough hours in the day to get everything done. Outside of my regular nine to five, I do bookkeeping for a couple little business in Indy, and I write Database Programs and Application. So far, that has been very lucrative and I am developing a nice little referral service thanks to the handful of companies that I have wrote applications for. My leisure time is stretched between writing, reading, and checking out tapes of my favorite soaps!

You spend a lot of time supporting your fellow authors, and reading many different books. What are your favorite genre’s to read?
My all time favorite genre is of course contemporary Interracial Romance. Although after reading a book by Shara Azod, I think I’ll have to take a look at historicals a little more closely. I like a story with heart and underlying messages. A good book to me is one where once it is finish the characters linger on in my mind. Next on my list of favorites are thiller / suspense romance. I am a serious Sandra Brown and Anne Stuart fan.

Do you have a favorite genre to write?
Interracial Romance. I find it easier to write what I know (lol), to celebrate the challenges that IR couples face and to dispel some of the misconceptions that are too often touted in some IR books. IR couples do not spend morning, noon, and night obsessing over societies perception of them, but instead spend time doing the same thing that same race couples do.

Do you have any idols or people that are heroes to you?
My heroes are usually always the underdog. That is, people who are able to rise above their circumstances and to meet challenges in life. There is this trail in Indianapolis called the Monon Trail for walkers and bikers. I met a very special guy there one Saturday. We were park side by side and as I changed into my running shoes I kind of froze as I watched him do the same, replace his regular shoes with running shoes. I was in awe of him as he laced them because (and this is what made him a hero in my eyes) he had one arm. IMO people like that deserve admiration and are the real heroes. He’s a winner because he didn’t give up and he met one of his many challenges in life. I am honored to know him.

If you could have any super power, what would it be and how would you use it?
Okay at the risk of sounding like PollyAnna, I’d like the power to heal people of those disease that scientist claim there are no cure for. You know, Cancer, AIDS, Heart Disease, etc. And I would heal people of their craving and addictions to illegal drugs and alcohol abuse.

Can you share with your readers a little bit about what makes you unique as an author?
This is a tough one because we writers are all unique with what we do. For the most part the themes are pretty much the same - we just arrange the words differently and develop our own style. It’s that style that draws a reader time and time again to a particular writer. I do categorize certain unique styles. My favorite is the writer whose main emphasis is the hero and taking him from a very bad guy with issue’s to that of hero in the eyes of the only woman that counts – the heroine. I suppose that if I belonged to a "Unique Style" than that would be it. I don’t think very many women would find Michael to be all that great of a catch. But then he doesn’t care what other women think, only one – his Seine.

If you could be any one of your characters, who would it be and why?
This is my favorite question and the answer is definitely Lynda from Behind Blue Eyes. Actually, I really am a lot like her in real life. I am the goto friend and I am definitely all five of my sister’s goto sister!

Do you believe in love at first sight?
I do believe without a doubt, absolutely, positively yes in love at first site. I believe it personally, and imaginatively in the stories I write and the one’s that I read.

Where can readers learn more about you?
I have a website that is for the most part complete. There isn’t very much personal information on it, but I do have an excerpt for Behind Blue Eyes and several other books that I have penned and am in the process of completing. I have an IR Listing that is very important to me. It’s a list of recently release books with an interracial / multicultural relationship. Many sites do not list IR’s as IR’s so many of the books are not easily found by fans of the genre, thus my reasoning for creating the list. It’s just another tool for our reader’s to utilize.

Website: Pat Cromwell Romance To Tease The Soul is: http://www.freewebs.com/patcromwell/

YouTube book trailer for Behind Blue Eyes can be viewed at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnV3uXKwmM

Happy Reading

No comments: